Well you might ask 'what has Scotland been like?' dull, boring ,nothing to do, no atmosphere......said no -one ever!
The last 4 weeks have been jam packed with parties, the show, an amazing city, innovative and interesting farm tours, awesome people and just great times!
The first few nights we stayed in an youth hostel right in the middle of Edinburgh (Cowgate for those who know the city) where I meet up with 12 other delegates from around the world - one from Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Northern Ireland, Two from England, two from Wales, two from USA and little old me from Oz! It was so great meeting these guys and I knew good times lay ahead so I needed to get my batteries recharged (and quick) because I had a feeling it was going to be full on!
Yep and it was- in a brilliant way! The first week was spent down in Aryshire where we went on some fantastic farm tours, with some really innovative ways of doing things. These included a arable farm with a farm shop that sold almost everything, a windmill farm (lots here), a poultry farm (fascinating), beekeeping (funny but fascinating), huge dairy operations, robotic dairies (will be the way of the future I think -very impressive). I feel like I learnt so much for these places - I saw some really innovative, first class practices, where there was a real feeling of enthusiasm in agriculture and in what they were doing. I took lots of videos and photos and I can't wait to show people back home. I especially loved seeing young people so passionate about their field, taking calculated risks and being so open with showing us around!
The first week also bought about a dinner for us exchangees, put on by the Scottish International Trust. I can't write a blog without mentioning this fabulous night! We were told to dress up but not given much other information,except where to go. Anyway it was at the 'Overseas Lounge' in Princess St, downtown Edinburgh. It was such a fantastic night and no ordinary night out for tea! For example, I was chatting away to a nice person whilst having a wine, telling them about Tassie and Agfest etc, a casual, easy going conversation - they then mentioned that they go to Aus on official business, so I said'where abouts?'. The response was'Canberra'. I thought 'ummm Canberra'. He then proceeded to tell me he was a member of the Scottish Parliament! Anyways, I tried not to fall over backwards or change my facial expression in anyway :) and just carried on the 'cas' conversation...we talked about the upcoming referendum for independence, their system of government (I learnt a few handy facts at a tour of the parliament earlier that day -umm very handy) and how it compared to our system of government......Yeah no, not my usual everyday conversation!
Anyway after that, I continued on and started chatting to another man there. We were having a good old chin wag about Agfest and he seemed really interested in how we run it and, in particular, our young committee with the average age being 23 etc. Anyway he then went on to say that he is coming to Oz next October for a World Convention on agricultural affairs in Brisbane and I should go, him being my contact. Umm....yes that would be great, I said. Then he gave me his business card and I nearly fell over.....he was the chairman of the Royal Highland Show, a really huge deal over here! It turned out that I was sitting next to him that night and he was great to chat too. He rang me after the show to give me a media contact and said he will be in touch about next October -OMG, he was serious, couldn't believe it! The night then followed by bagpipes and Scottish dancing, yep not an average night! This night would have to be a highlight, if not the highlight of my trip!
Talking of highlights, the Highland Show was the most awesome experience. It is a huge,huge (170,000 people) show across four days at a permanent site just outside Edinburgh. Everyone and anyone goes to it. It is so well organised, it appeared to run like clockwork, even if,as we know, big events always have challenges behind the scenes. Seeing hundreds of young farmers do the flash mob dance all together in the main arena was fantastic - ummm gives me ideas Rural Youthies!
Next stop was to Callander and then down at the Borders at a lovely sheep and beef farm near Melrose! A relaxing time with two lovely families. Then to Edinburgh for a night in the city by myself as the tour had finished. It all started off well until I went to pay for my hotel and my card declined, couldn't understand it. Anyways got on Internet banking and some ******* person (or most likely an organised gang) had completely milked my card into the negative (from an ATM in London, I was in Scotland). It is called 'skimming' or 'cloning' over here and is quite common according to the police. Apparently when you use an ATM they sometimes attach little machines and cameras to them that record all you details. They then make up duplicate cards, wait a while (hoping you have gone back to your country -it makes it harder to catch them apparently) and go for it. I have even heard of these guys walking next to you in a busy street and having a little scanner that scans your details through your bag - to get around this people are buying metal wallets ,crazy stuff. So after fearing I was on the streets for the night with 10 pounds to my name, a few teary phones calls and lots of cancelling cards, organising emergency funds, walking across town for hours and visiting a police station, I was ok, bit shaken but ok. It's amazing how you can get things organised and problem solve things out when you don't have a choice! This plus getting all my Levi jeans nicked out of a backpackers laundry, made for a few frustrations!
Anyways, the next stop was staying at an old Broun property (the year 1120 in fact) out at Haddington, just outside of Edinburgh. It is one of the few original homes still in the same family and it was a beautiful couples of days. Not only was it absolutely beautiful, being on an organic farm and woodlands which I got to run around, but it so great seeing all the history and meeting the owner, that I have heard so much about over the years. Coulston was beautiful and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to stay there.
The next challenge was to hire a car and drive around Edinburgh and down to Manchester. I did this because I wanted to go see the original Broun house where my great grandfather grew up, on the way. It is called Orchard House (like mum and dads place in Tassie) and there is an Orchard Hill next door (like my place) and was also set on an apple orchard. So basically a bit like home but go back 100 or so years and in Scotland. It is now a nursing home and when Dad tried to go back last year they wouldn't let him in. So, it was my MISSION to get in those doors! I went armed with pictures, family tree knowledge and was ready to do some serious talking!! Anyway they were a little 'frosty' to start with but when I explained the history and chatted to them about what I knew, they gave me a guided tour for nearly an hour! The lovely manager let me take as many photos as I liked, told me everything she knew and gave me the details of a person who knows more! I just couldn't believe it, really it couldn't of gone better, I was so happy. Tracing my family history back was something I have wanted to do since I was a late teenager. I have heard so much about that place from my grandparents and dad, it was just awesome to go there and get in the doors! I was even prepared to wrestle security if I needed too! Lol
I then drove the little hire car to Manchester, which was surprisingly easy. I was meet by my aunt Isobel and what followed was a lovely, relaxing week meeting my two cousins again, spending time with my aunt, going to the gym and exploring! Why stop there? I also rang my other aunt, Margaret, who came up and joined us for the last night. Another highlight was also going to my Mums hometown, Whitehaven, where I got to see the house she grew up in, her primary school and even the paddock where she kept her horse! it was great:)
I am now in London where I am about to tick the final thing off my list before travelling on a big jet plan home. Tomorrow is a visit to St Paul's Cathedral, where Mum and Dad got married. London is amazing, so happening every second of the day, seven days a week. Love it and I words can't express how much I have loved this trip. I love our Australia and life in Tassie but tomorrow will be sad I think. Brilliant memories made. Brilliant friends made. Lots learnt. Every item ticked off. Happy, grateful and satisfied. I am very lucky.









No comments:
Post a Comment