Wednesday

The countdown is on! In a fortnight, we will have put on the 31st Agfest and I will be touching down in Ireland!


Well the time has almost finally rolled around! The nerves are starting to build as my overseas departure seems very 'real' now, less than two weeks away!

The Agfest site is getting ready to roll with marquees going up and lots of phone calls and emails! In one week from today, the gates will open, the 31st Agfest will roll on and yet again, the Rural Youth of Tassie will put on a fantastic event! It's something to be proud of guys!

Then on the Monday, I will be travelling to the little old Devonport airport to board a flight destined for Melbourne and Dubai. From here I will stop over at the Hyatt Regency for a bit of five star luxury.... and a few hours sleep.....before I begin the once-in-a-lifetime trip!

When I joined Rural Youth at the age of 23 I joined to meet people (as I didn't know anyone) in a small town of Smithton, North West Tassie. I was on my first teaching placement at Forest Primary School. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be writing a media kit, scripting radio and TV ads, designing a website and playing my part in organising the fantastic non-profit community event that Agfest is!...... Let alone, tripping off to the UK to promote us in the Young Farmer Network and see what they have to offer over there! Rural Youth has opened so many doors for me and I recommend all those young 'up and coming' youth to get amoungst it, give back to the community, develop new skills and make lifelong friends!

So, as my nerves start to build and the bags start to pack themselves (not!), I want to thank Rural Youth, Agfest and the Tasmanian Country newspaper for giving me this opporunity. I will make the most of every minute and hopefully help continue to put our event and organisation on the map! Bring it on!

First stop ....Ireland, second stop.... England and Wales..... third stop.... Scotland.... with a grand finale at the Royal Highland Show, outside of Edinburgh!

2 comments:

  1. I hope the trip goes well. Bill Kelly is a life-long friend of mine, of Irish descent (obviuosly)and, although he was born in Canada, his parents emigrated from Northern Ireland. He talks regularly with cousins living there. As recently as a month ago, one cousin told him the snow on the sides of the road outside her farm was 6 feet high and she was stranded for a week before she could get to town for supplies. Hopefully, the snow and cold will be long gone by the time you arrive but, just in case, take a pair of long johns with you. From what Tara writes, she could have done with a pair. Love, Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete