Saturday

Goodbye Northern Ireland! Fantastic Place with Great People:)

Well I haven't published my last week in Northern Ireland so I better get onto it!

Leaving Northern Ireland was with mixed feelings. I know understand how Stuart Rea feels leaving Tasmania. One part of me is really excited to be off to the next leg of this trip (England) but I don't want to say goodbye to all the great people that I have met! Any northern Irelanders reading this, remember you are always welcome at our place in Tassie, bring your family and friends too!

Last week we did the 10km run for charity in banbridge, just outside Belfast. It was a really hilly course but it was great to do it with the young farmers! Think we might have to start a team back home for the Burnie Ten or something:) Any takers? Come on Devonport boys it will be good for you :))

I also went to the Titanic centre in Belfast, the place where the Titanic was built. They have set up a fantastic museum on all things titanic including the outfits that Leonardo and Kate wore in the movie. Seeing models of all the third, second and first class suites also highlighted how fancy the Titanic was, in its time. Reading all the final messages for help before it went under and seeing artefacts and recordings of the titanic on the ocean floor today was pretty eerie yet fascinating at the same time. If any Port Sorell people are reading this, I got some really great videos you will love, especially you Jack M.!

It is silage time in Northern Ireland at the moment. So my host family are currently really busy milking twice a day and running a harvesting business, doing their own and other people's silage. John Deere harvesters and tractors are definitely the most popular here! I also saw milk recording done, which is a process of collecting a sample from each cow to test for disease and levels etc.

Flying from Belfast to Manchester was bordering on a little stressful. I think I made the fundamental mistake of opening my mouth and chatting to people in the security line.they worked out I wasn't a local and was a potential threat??? Maybe I look like a terrorist? Anyway they put me through every security measure known to man - often twice. So after two drugs and explosive tests later, removing jackets and boots twice, searched/rearranging bags twice, one
'Patting' down, they said I was free to go!! I thought it was funny to start with but that soon wore thin and I thought I was going to miss my flight. Note to self, the UK is really strict, Australia Is fairly relaxed and don't open your mouth and chat when lining up to go through security!

Whilst leaving Northern Ireland was a tad sad, I can't wait to catch up with everyone at the Highland Show this month, it will be good Craic!

Next, chapter 2, England.....

P.S Did you know....

1) Fosters is our signature beer even though it is brewed in the UK and we really don't drink it at home. Utube 'fosters beer ads' and check out the Aussies!

2) Using the Aussie name is good marketing. They have a whole hair product range here called 'Aussie' with kangaroos on it, made from outback, indigenous plants etc. made in the UK, France, Germany and not sold in oz. Do you really think they are going to fly Aus plants/products over there to make hair products? Not sure on that one. When I told the locals we don't actually have it they we majorly peeved as they thought it was so expensive because it had to come all the way from Australia! Yep, clever marketing.

3) Northern Ireland has no snakes! Think I want to move there :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment